Sunday, July 3, 2011

How Can You Live Up?

This is my grandmother:

  
She is going to be 92-years old this year. I know, right?

She still lives in her house, where she has lived since she was four. Her mind is all there, and she does not have a caretaker, or anyone visiting her home (besides her children) to help her with her day-to-day. She always has on fabulous clothes (I remember looking at her on Easter Sunday, and thinking "Would it be weird if I asked Gran if I could borrow her scarf sometime?" I decided it probably would be, although she absolutely would let me), and takes care to make sure she looks her best when going out. I've never seen her with a grey hair (not to say this has not occurred, but it has to be a rarity), and have only had to visit her in the hospital once, when she had surgery on her knee. Did you read that? Her knee. Did I mention she's almost ninety-two???

I can't help but wonder what her secret is. I know she was never a big drinker (so I'm not really sure what happened to the rest of us), and was not a smoker. She has a huge heart, made of some indestructible matter, like tungsten. Her kids are all funny, and from what I'm told, so was my grandfather. I firmly believe lots of laughter can really do a person good. Gran could be living proof of that.

I feel very lucky to have Gran, and she is absolutely the center of our entire family. The list of admirable qualities she carries could go on forever, but there is one downside to being a part of her clan: huge shoes to fill. How can anyone live up to that? She's the best of the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment