Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dang, that's crunchy

I'm always on the lookout for new foods...and I am also always on the lookout for cheap foods. Too often, I'll find myself jotting down a new recipe, only to rip it up and throw it away because I don't already have, nor do I want to buy, half the ingredients. I especially hate things that call for celery. I  buy it, use one stalk, and find myself hesitantly picking up the greenish-brown soggy remains of it three weeks later from the bottom of my crisper. It's gross.  Seriously, they need to make a gorcery store where you can buy things like one stalk of celery because I will never use the entire batch. Ever. Ever. I try and fail every time.

Sidenote: I just realized I have come up with the most genius idea ever- "Produce Bulk Barn". How amazing would it be to be able to buy just enough lettuce for one salad, instead of a head of lettuce? Or two radishes instead of a whole package? One carrot, four mushrooms, etc. My dream. Kind of like a liquor store that sells mix and cigarettes (why have they not started that yet? Not that I would need the smokes, but it would save a lot of people from making multiple trips in preparation for a party). I know you can buy many things in the produce department based on how much you need (potatoes, apples, etc), but there are certain things that you are forced to buy as whole packages, and it just doesn't fly with me all the time. Again, I will never need a whole celery plant, or whatever it is.

Anyway, back to where I was going with this post. During my daily Pinterest frenzy the other day, I came across this really cute and yummy looking snack. I saw it on my friend Barb's board, and was amazed that I had all four of the ingredients. Here is the delicious work of art:


Ingredients:

Apples
Granola
Peanut butter
Chocolate chips

You simply core the apple, slice it into cute bagel-like shapes, and add the PB, granola, and chocolate chips. Then you top it with another apple slice, and voila! It is so yummy! I don't have an apple corer, and tried to do it manually, but was not successful. So, I just cut the sides off the apple, and did it that way. It's all going to be eaten anyway, and I imagine my not-so-cute apple sandiwches tasted just as good as the better looking ones in the picture. I highly recommend this as a fast, delicious snack. Happy snacking, readers!

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! And I completely agree with you about the produce. I just bough shallots last night and I had to buy a pack of like 10! I need ONE for the recipe. It makes me so sad to waste food, and despite my best intentions, it always happens. I have also wondered about the liquor store/mix idea. There must be a reason this can't happen because it seems SO logical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Seriously, my pet peeve when getting ready for an evening out (or in) is making various stops for supplies. I might buy a pop machine and station it outside the west side liquor store. I bet I'd make a killing. Bye bye teaching career...hello liquor store vending machine owner! I'd charge $2.00/500ml bottle, Big 8 brand. Thanks for reading- and for real, try the snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Coll, This may sound yucky, but I have a great celery snack for that leftover celery... do not knock it until you try it... "Ants on a Log" simply spread peanut butter onto the celery and top with raisins! It is really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of this...I will definitely try it. Thanks Sue!!

    ReplyDelete