Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Oh Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun!

Guess what, readers (i.e. husband and mother)? I am currently blogging from my back deck, wearing a t-shirt- and it is 8:08 in the evening. It is warmer out here than it is in my house! The sun is still shining, and Molly is barking up a storm at nothing, as she sits perched on the picnic table in our backyard (why she sits here, I do not know). I may or may not be sipping a wine spritzer. This whole scene just feels so...lovely.

This beautiful day inspired me to get around to something I have been planning on and talking about doing for months- planting my shoe organizer herb garden. I have gradually been collecting the necessities for this project (gardening tools, a shoe organizer, soil), and after picking up seeds on my trip to Portland last week with my parents (which, by the way, was awesome!), I had everything I needed. Except the sun. Today, my last ingredient was added, and I was more than ready to get this show on the road.

Tonight, I picked up this really neat tool (at the Dollar Store, duh) that has measurements in inches and centimeters on the side of it. You simply poke it into the soil as far down as the seeds should sit, and voila! You have a nice little home to drop your seeds in. Check it out:



This is what it looks like when you've poked all the cutesy little holes:

 
Cilantro seeds


Perhaps you seasoned gardeners have already been introduced to this work of art, but before today, I didn't know such a thing existed. I've planted things before, and always wondered how you would get a ruler to make a nice plot in your soil. Not the brightest- Clinton might call me a Dollar Store light bulb. Now, I know how it's done and I was more than happy to break in my new tool on my shoe organizer deck decor.

Choosing my herbs was something I was excited to do, and the Waterville Walmart just had a ton to pick from. Here is what I ended up going with:


















...and the rosemary Clinton bought a few weeks ago to help get me started:


My shoe rack has twenty pouches- no way was I planting herbs in all of them! But, once the plants start growing, they will need to be separated. So, I figured each one could have it's own row on the rack, and I would fill the pouches as necessary. I also think I'll go buy some potted flowers, and stick those in for filler. Watcha think? Here's the finished product (well, as finished as it can be without the herbs having actually grown):


Getting this done has really inspired me to make my property more esthetically pleasing. I've also been feeling antsy since buying these two fun books at Indigo (for $5 a piece) the other day:


I've already learned a lot just from browsing through them, so I'm excited to actually spend some time with them and see what I can accomplish as a home owner throughout the summer.

So, that's my herb garden! I feel so good to finally have gotten it done, and cannot wait to let you know if it's a hit or a miss. Next project...front walkway. Yikes!




No comments:

Post a Comment